Monday, January 17, 2011

Of comforts and changes

New year has started with a bang.. V took a shot at standing up on his own and even attempted a few independent steps. It was such a joy to see this little one who did not even know to sit up, standing up an clapping :) There was also teeth sprouting which became a reason to rejoice at home. I wonder at what point do we stop rejoicing all the milestones and start sighing at them with disbelief :))

New Year also gave way to many instances of falling and banging various body parts against all hard surfaces. Fortunately I am not one of those moms who are given to dramatics and seem more traumatized than the baby who has suffered an injury. But V seems to be one of those babies whose eyes look out for me when he does fall and will come to me and insist on being pampered and kissed for about a minute before resuming mischief.
I marvel at the healing powers god gives to new moms, I personally never knew I had any capacity to comfort someone like that instantly :) But it seems to work big time. I also wish god would leave this power with me for a long long time to come. Because I know for a fact that there will be times when he will be hurt by some kind of misery, feeling of losing, feeling of helplessness, heartbreaks etc.. I wish I have this power to help him heal then. I really wish he could be made to feel better by just a hug and a kiss when someone breaks his heart or he loses that prize that he worked hard for to someone else. I really really wish..

On that note I also picked up my phone and called my mom to speak with her generally. I wanted to ask her how I was as a baby and was there any similarity between how V behaves and me. So mom tells me that i was very independent even as a baby and there were very few instances when I would actually cry. She throws in that 'Even as a baby you were not very demonstrative and a little repressed'

It was a 'What the what' moment right then and there for me ! :) My own mom calling me repressed. But then I do look back and understand that I have my own defence mechanism and one of them being non demonstrative and not allowing myself to feel very vulnerable.

I think its good that children are so vulnerable, and that they reach out to whatever comforts them and once comforted they are good to go. Maybe its something that I can learn from this little thing. For the new year I tell myself that its ok to be vulnerable sometimes and reach out to what comforts us. Coz in the end if it helps, why not !

Amazing how the little ones teach us stuff :))

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh the joys of parenthood ... specially being a mom ... was very happy when i read this da "I personally never knew I had any capacity to comfort someone like that instantly :)"