Thursday, July 21, 2005

Potter Mania

Its amazing how much furore a children's book can generate... But I guess with HP, we are speaking of a book which is not ordinary in any sense and has readers spanning generations :-)

Newspapers and magazines were full of nothing else but the hype around the new book and the demand figures and of course the twist in the new book ! (A beloved character's death). Read the book myself over the weekend, decided to take the plunge and buy the book the day it released. Bro laughed his guts out when I told him it costed me around 700/- (after discount ;)). I smirked and said that is probably the cheapest you can get it for right now! O, how deluded I was...

Yesterday's news was buzzing with piracy of the book and how peddlers (young children at that!) were selling it at Mumbai traffic signals for almost 1/4th the price I paid for it!! I am appalled! Partly a feeling of immense stupidity and partly indignition at the fact that Bro was right! Mmmfffpppttt :p

The whole episode made me very uncomfortable and I started wondering why things are the way they are. I remember when I was a kid, we regularly subscribed to Tinkle and dilligently scrounged for ACK's (Amar Chitra Katha for the uninitiated). These were affordable Indian monthlies for children. Mum used to get me new or used Enid Blytons and other Phoeren books on a regular basis (depending on my behavior of course) :-)

Basically, it was acceptable to ask for books to be bought if they were supposedly spectacular or brand new..Zooming to today, I am a little apprehensive of the same statements. Is it Acceptable for parents to be asked to buy books like Harry Potter for 700-800?? That is steep no matter from which angle you look at it! Is that even a price for middle class families to shell out for a story book? I am thinking not!

So, are these books only aimed for children from families who can afford them? I do not understand that.. The main intention for a children's book as well as a so called social responsibility for publishers like Penguin, India, should be to make it in the reach of educated children all over irrespective of their socio-economic background. I wonder whats happening really..

I can well imagine the plight of a parent whose child comes home saying his/her friend has the new Potter book and he/she wants it as well. I can very well imagine the child's face when told that its out of question as its not affordable and maybe a suggestion to borrow it from friends. I totally support borrowing books from friends, sharing books has been a long standing tradition among children but thats really not the point here. The point is that children being children, are beyond concepts like economical disparity. A basic tendency of a child with a new object, whatever it may be, is to flaunt it. For reasons unknown, we all do it when we are kids, or have seen other kids doing it (if you are among the few with some sense not to show off :p)

Don't such books actually promote something like that? I believe so. And its sad, especially when you see that in the end, there is a certain segment of children who will probably not get ride in this wave of the recent Potter Mania.

Having said that, I wonder if Piracy is really such an evil as its made out to be, in cases like these, wouldn't you really be tempted to buy one of the paperbacks just because its within your reach? I see myself tending to that at least, as I am sure did a lot of people who bought over 10k books last 2 days since the pirated version has been out..Brings the eternal question back doesn't it- Whether inflation and piracy are the two sides of the same coin. As long as one exists the other will certainly. In a country like India, unless you make things within the reach of the everyday men/women, there will always be a cheaper/fake version of it as there will always be people venturing to produce these commodities and there will always be a market for the same !..

ps: Please do not interpret this as an endorsement for Piracy, I do not like the phenomenon myself, I am just musing aloud the cause and effect theory involved in it :-)

4 comments:

Sandeep said...

I really wouldn't want to advocate piracy. i know that the authors that we love so much actually end-up losing all their due credit because people buy pirated editions.

But, having said that, a one-time investment in a legally recognized book is rather short-lived in it's entertainment value. After all, how many times can you read the same material, eh?

As far as I can see, a personal book-collection is always something to be proud of, and it's a lot more meaningful when they're all legal!

Rads said...

Lending libraries are there but not every area has one.. Even the concept as such is dwindling as not many children even try and find a library close to their house..!
At least the one near my house is abt to shut any day coz of such low number of members and active members!

Rads said...

Deepu! Not advocating piracy at all!! I apologize if it sounded like that.. I know its a bad thing and the actual authors dont get their dues. Just musing aloud about the cause and effect theory here :-)

Rajesh J Advani said...

I won't comment on the piracy angle. It means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I don't like the idea, of course, just to be clear.

But I will respond to this -

there is a certain segment of children who will probably not get ride in this wave of the recent Potter Mania.

I agree with SeaSwallowMe on this. Why is that a bad thing? If some children get to not be dragged into this Potter-mire, more power to them!

Harry Potter is a fad. Even if it is a long-lasting one. Maybe the books are well-written. Maybe they paint a wonderful picture in your mind as you read them. But is it really 'the best children's book series' around? Mind you, I'm not talking about popularity. David Dhawan movies were popular too.

And what children's book is 800 pages thick???

I can't remember how many pages the Famous Five books used to be. But they probably didn't cross 150.

I wish the Rowling babe would just release the 7th book and be done with it. (But we all know that even that wouldn't be the end, don't we.)