Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Stuck

I am a sucker, a total sucker for nice going, melodious songs.. It may sound like a simple enough criteria for soundtracks..
But nope, is not for most parts. Most of the tracks out there don't even come close.

Seriously you wonder whats wrong with music directors of today, the songs are not even melodious, forget catchy! (E.g. Dhoom 2, soundtrack of which sucked big time!)

In the middle of all that there are 2 soundtracks that outshine the rest by some outer space metrics :)

Guru - A lot of people did not like it, I guess I wasn't too impressed myself at the outset. But I stuck to my gut feelin about Rahman soundtracks which have to be listened to in repeat mode to appreciate them. Which I did, and I have come to appreciate the songs. I don't think its spectacular, but I will not make the mistake of comparing it to any other Rahman creations coz its just not fair. As long as a soundtrack has at least 3 songs that have you humming, you have a winner and this one definitely does that for me.. I will not get into hashing and rehashing of the album, you can check out this, which is an echo of what I think of it :)

Salaam -e - Ishq - Now this is a typical SEL (Shankar Ehsaan Loy) composition. They are also quickly getting into a stereotype.. at least in my head :) But thats not such a bad thing coz their stereotype is Good Music ! Till date their soundtracks have not dissapointed me, even if the movie is a complete zero (e.g. Dil jo bhi jahe, Yeh kya ho raha hai etc). There are at least 2 nice songs per album if not more..

Now, even SEI (yes, I am heavily into acros now a days) is a winner as far as I am concerned, there are 3 songs that I have in repeat mode right now in my player. I just cannot stop listening to them. I am sure the rest are nice as well, but I just havent gotten over these 3 so I will get to them in a couple days :P

"Dil Kya kare" - This one is an Adnan Sami song sung with such an understated energy and attitude, sheer pleasure to listen to it. Very nice guitar work as well (maybe some scottish pipes too :P). The song has an acoustic feel to it..

"Mera Dil" - Ha , every album of theirs I wait for that Shaan song which will outshine the rest :) And I got one as expected in this one, breezy song that reminds you of "Kuch to hua hai" from Kal ho na ho.. But a lovely duet nonetheless with the new singer Nihira whos done a good job...

The title track is typical number, you get a sense of deja vu with it. But its again a foot tapping number so you are not disappointed. A lot of talented singers again (SEL are second only to Rahman to get so many singers for a single number, remember the title song of Dillagi? It had 10 accomplished singers!!). This one has all the top singers, Sonu, Kunaal, Shreya etc.. (yes, yes, I am on first name basis now :p)

All in all, I think Nikhil and SEL have another winning soundtrack on their hands, hope the movie lives upto the expectations. Its supposedly inspired by "Love actually".

Hmm.. waiting....

No comments: