Monday, December 04, 2006

The weekend that was....


T'was a movie filled weekend for most parts.. Hubby an I decided not to travel this weekend (means he doesn't come here an I don't go there and not la di da lets not take a vacation :p)
So, I had to find alternative means to keep myself engaged.. Considering I swore to myself, subsequent to moving to SD, that I am not cooking unless I have more than 1 person to cook for, kitchen held no prospects for me.. Well, the dishwasher and laundry did, but given all the advanced technology involved, the prospects of engaging my time limits itself to approximately 2.7 mins (coz thats all it takes to load any of these jazzy things!)

So I decided to dedicate my precious time to the lappy and the TV :))

Friday night saw 'Vivah' - the new sob/senti flick from the infamous makers of HAHK an such.. You know I almost felt sorry for the director.. As he grows older, I feel he regresses, I don't know why.. At least his last movie was not so bad (Main prem ki diwani hoon), Ok, when I say it was not so bad, I do not mean in general, it was a really sucky movie, but compared to this one, even that seems bearable.. God, that reminds me of the lengths we went to to see that one.. Winky, remember getting drenched in the rains and the innovative multiplex ! Really, some dedication to movies we had :)) (I miss my movie buddy tho' :()

Anyways.. its interesting to see that the director who in his younger days (hay days) made movies that were so much more modern (I thought even MPK was quite modern for the times we lived in, at least frm my school girl eyes it seemed that way) is regressing much beyond his years.. The characters are extremely jaded, Theres a stereotype associated with every character he has, whether its the girls father or the boys father, brother, sister, whatever.. exteremely stereotyped. I am not sure why he's not capable of making movies a little bit realistic.. The Bhabhi character in the new movie was the most believable one, despite that fact that she almost seemed like a super human effort in order to make her look completey indian although being modern. Apart from that, the movie crashes from scene 1 coz its an effort to show how an ideal indian whoever should be like.. Its an ideal world according to Mr. Sooraj Barjatya. Unfortunately, its not something we can relate to..

The characters seem surreal coz they all seem to be from epics and mythology :)) The main bone that I have to pick with the director is the complete lack of purpose that women seem to have in his movies. Why are they all so meek and so eager to settle into matrimony and thereby into maternal roles. I just don't get it.. Is it a subconcious wish of his to see all women in the world like that in real life or is he really in denial?? I fail to understand which.. There is a certain sincereity with which this guy makes movies, I just feel he needs a reality check. I wish someone would inspire him to make movies which has empowered women who have careers or at least some semblence to profesional life. Women, who do not wear pallus over their head at the drop of the hat and who look up when speaking to people. And most importantly, please move away from small town movies like rampur, ramnagar, ramgarh etc. They just don't have that appeal anymore..

Saturday was the day for 'Vaisa bhi hota hai part2'. Yes, I did not understand the title at all. Anyways, it was infinitely better watching experience than the disaster on friday. Its not the greatest movie but it has its moments.. (Like I said earlier in some post, that its become so unrealistic to expect good hindi movies end to end, you should be glad if they even have moments worth mentioning)
In fact I think its a very very worthwhile effort from the young director. Its a technically well made movie with a very good cast. I don't think anybody's acting was below average in the movie, every single person was top notch. Especially Arshad Warsi and his gangster friend. The story is quite innovative and manages to capture your attention for most parts. But .. yes.. there is a but.. like most indian movies, it looses steam post intermission. The story dwindles and you just wanna fast forward it.. There are some songs that could have been left at best as background music..

The story itself has a few parallels which all tie up together, but unless you are familiar with that kinda theme, you maybe left wondering what the hell and who the hell :))

Arshad Warsi is, I have realized has been one of the most underutilized actor in todays times. He is quite capable of a varied character range and is quite versatile.. Its worth watching this one just for him..

Finally... sunday - Dhoom 2 :))))
So many people dissuaded me from seeing this one.. But how could you assume that I would miss anything that has two of my sweethearts ?? :))

This movie from start is full of eye candy.. There is no denying that.. I went in to admire and drool over AB baby and hrithik and wonders of wonders came out being completely impressed my missy ash.. She is quite a surprise package in this one.. I think with the newly acquired tan completely agrees with her, she looks almost human and not the usual stunning picture she usually resembles.. She seems to be finally at ease with her surroundings enough to explore and just be comfy.. And that shows big time in the movie.. For most parts, she doesnt seem cold or detached.. She looks stunning in hot pants and short skirts !!

Hrithik.. ahhhhhh He's god.. demi god.. He's in control through out the movie and knows the movie belongs to him.. When he's on screen, everything else just seems to fade away. All you see is his absolutely fab and toned body and of course the groovy moves when there is a song :))) Ahhh.. thats what I call eyue candy.. Damn my inability to whistle !!!

AB looks at best average in this one.. God knows I luv him, but he looks desperately in need of a good hair cut and shave.. I think it was just the fact that this movie was filled with all his childhood buddies (Uday, Adi, hrithik) that he thought he coudl just get up in the morning an come for the shoot. Anyways.. usko to har mishtake maaf hai :))
The movie looks extremely jazzy whether its effects, technique or even costumes an locales.. Its fast paced and does not lag for most parts except when there is Bips(the twin) or Uday on screen. There are certain things which seem extremely unnecessary in this movie e.g. the Bipasha twin, now what was the purpose of that, instead you could have the cop sis tag with the 2 dudes! But i guess they wanted Ash to stand out in the second half in all the cat and mouse game.. And stand out she does with all the oomph and show.. :)

Its has the usual dose of hindi masala and whats a hindi movie without these things. I swear the day they stop making hindi movies without masala or song and dance sequences, I will just... well.. do something drastic I guess :p
I completely enjoyed the movie right from the start, I went all prepared for lotsa action and eye candy.. and I got all that I expected :))) I don't know what the guys who did not enjoy the movie were thinking, really.. What expectations did you go in with ? Did you expect a fast and furious or Ocean's 11? I mean, you should know better... Its a hindi movie after all and in keeping with the traditions, you are never (repeat after me Never) to compare it with the subsequent prequels.. Enjoy the roller coaster ride as is, enjoy the songs (tho' I personally thought the songs sucked in this one, it was just Ash and Hrithik's dance prowess that saved the day), enjoy the locales...

If you are still expecting a hindi flick sans masala and babes with skimpy clothes and utterly meaningless sequences, I suggest you refrain from watching a hindi flick completely and stick to 'Italian job', 'Fast and furious' and such..

Do not complain about hindi movies if you cannot learn to appreciate the packaging as is.

No comments: