Monday, November 23, 2009

sad sad news !

Just heard, another one (second in the last 1 yr) of my close school friend's going thru a nasty separation and an impending divorce..
I am really and truly sorry to hear that. Somehow when i hear about such things, my heart reaches out to them even though i have not really kept a lot in touch with them ! Of course certain friendships especially from so long ago also fade with time and duly so. But still when I hear about their lives, makes me regret not keeping in touch.. (which is stupid coz its not like that wud have changed anything !)
Incidently, both these girls were good girls who promptly got married soon after college to the grooms of their parents choice. Makes me really wonder if parents really know the best for their children. I know its a very loaded and biased statement, but I can't help but think otherwise. What constitutes a good match or a good family has no bearing to the actual life that their daughter will have to eventually lead later on.
In both these cases, the guys came from so called 'Good' families, just that their upbringing seriously lacked any sense of civility, common sense and respect for women !

And worse of all, I find it so hard to digest the fact that both of my friends decided to stick around and bear it for the longest of times (5 years and 7 years respectively!). What makes women do that ?
We all grew up together and I have known them to a decent degree ever since we were girls with pigtails. Back then, would I have imagined that the same girls , (both of them post graduates with very good careers for themselves mind you!) would have settled for any less ? I really don't think so. Then what changed ?
I am sure its complicated and not necessarily all black and white, especially given all the parental pressure and the crappy indian society. But still, what gives ? Is it the eternal hope that things will become normal ? Or that you don't want to call quits too soon.
Not that I am judging any of them, I am very happy that they decided to take control now and are doing so with amazing grace.. Its just a scary notion I guess that you think you know people but really dont and that for every 2 who have the guts to walk out, there are 10 out there who don't !

No comments: