Monday, July 26, 2004

Train journeys from Portland

Been wanting to blog about these for soooo long now. By now, have forgotten 75% of what I actually wanted to write also.. About 3 months ago for almost 3 weeks continuously I wrote about these trips on my way back. That’s how I spent time since I had my laptop with me anyways. I still carry my laptop around but for some reason, don't even bother to open it for anything! Land at my designated seat an shove the laptop under the seat, it doesn't seem to serve any other purpose…
Once I remember during the days when I used to type away to glory in the train, sat next to a guy who was also working away on his laptop.. The difference being he had an excel spreadsheet open and was evidently doing some accounts.. He was mighty happy when his co-passenger also had her laptop open an was opening MS Word. His contented smile spoke for him. :-)
But after typing a para, I got distracted an ended up playin my cd's instead.. 2 hours and many songs later, he looks at my monitor and says, "You hardly did any work !" I mean, excuse me !!
Firstly do I know you ? And secondly did I say that I was working towards me next annual appraisal rating or anything ? Gosh, this kind of unwarranted behavior really puts me off.. I mean, he's lucky that we were nearing Portland and I was too pre-occupied with other thoughts and hence in no mood to fight. So, in a tongue in cheek tone I said "Who was working" :p
Anyways, getting back to my train journey, its always interesting to watch people all around you. People who are soo different and yet so similar. I have this thing with my seating you see, so I always ask for an aisle at a family table. Don't ask me why, it’s a little whim an bit about more of leg space issue I guess. :-)
Plus in a family table u get to observe so many people at one shot.. God help you if you are stuck with bawling kids but that doesn't happen very often. On my way to Portland this time I had a little girl of probably 10 next to me, Samantha :-) Boy, was she adorable. She had 2 elder sis an mum an dad in the next few seats, but for some reason she just stuck to me.. It had a bit to do with the movie they were playing I guess. "Confessions of a teenage drama queen". I think that was the bonding factor ! 2 people who were nowhere in the category of public for which the movie was made an going' "Oh, that’s soo coool " :-) Seriously, it was great fun !
After the movie got over, we played whats the good word, trivia, spoke about cartoon network and loony tunes, did painting, coloring and join the dots. Boy, it was a good journey I must say. Considering that the train was almost an hour late, it was time well spent :-)))) When I was getting down at Portland, Sammy hugged me hard and asked me to come to her house sometime.. I was touched really. I wish these journeys were more like this..

3 comments:

Rajesh J Advani said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rajesh J Advani said...

For those of us who haven't been initiated to the pleasures of travelling by train in the US (I mean taking the PATH from from NJ to NYC hardly counts, right?) could you please explain what a family table is, and why there is more leg space?

Rads said...

A family table essentially means a set of 4 seats (2 at each side) facing each other with a table in between. So, its a lot more convenient than the regular seating of 2 behind 2 seatings. Its just like a plane my dear :-)
Since, you don't have a seat in front of you and table with ample space beneath it, its more spacious :-))

You can even play footsie if u wanna ;)