Friday, August 04, 2006

Hmmpff! Doctors!

Doc: So what do you think is contributing to the pain in your shoulders?
Me: Well, I am not sure. (Ahem, aren't you the doctor???)
Doc: But there must be something that you are doing which needs to be stopped, can you think of something?
Me: I do tend to read a lot..
Doc: Do you think you can stop doing that for a while ? Just to check..
Me: Stop reading ?? (Bewildered and... Are you kidding me?!)
Doc: What else can you stop doing?
Me: Umm.... (Is this going anywhere..)
Doc: What about the way you sleep, how is that?
Me: Mostly on my tummy and usually all coiled up...
Doc: Can you stop doing that?
Me: Ahem.. I don't think so.. You see its quite involuntary.. (Well that and the fact that my mum's been trying to make me sleep properly since I was 2 and she hasnt succeeded)
Doc: What about working on the comp, you said you are not working anymore.
Me: Yes, most of what I do nowadays is squat at home and just check mails a few times a day.
Doc: Can you stop even that?
Me: ?? (Really ? You think I have any chance of survival without checking all my zillion mails ?)
Doc: Ok what else, there doesn't seem to be many sustained postures in your daily activity, but you still seem to have a lot of pain. What about sitting?
Me: (ok, by now losing patience, he wants me to stand all day ??) Umm.. I do think I know how to sit and all that plus we have a very comfy couch..(:p)
Doc: What about standing..
Me: (About to bash him up now!) What ?
Doc: You know standing for a prolonged period could cause tension in your shoulder..
Me: (this has to be a joke) Ummm.. I am hardly standing and doing anything. I dont really believe in overworking myself.. (Plus its not like I do any work around the house, you see hubby and I have a deal, I cook and he cleans.. Dishes, house, everything else...)
Doc: But there must be something, can you think about this and get back to me.
Me: (And I am paying you for this ???)

1 comment: