Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Thought for the day

I noticed something yesterday in the mirror. It was a completely relaxed, glowing and smiling face staring back at me. Something believe me I probably havent seen since I was probably 18 and yes that was long time ago :)

And immediately what struck me also was the fact that this is what we lose out on being the overambitious women that we have tend to become now. And I don't even mean overambitious as a bad thing. And I don't mean overambitious in a purely professional sense. I mean ambitious in every sphere of life. Wanting just about everything. I know thats how I am..

In the eternal race to achieve everything, we miss out on taking time to be, we miss out on chalking time out for yourself for the little things that you want to do. It could be something as simple as making sure you use ample moisturiser everyday. I know that personally, I obsess about moisturiser. Its been my bane for the last 7 years that I have been working. I have always felt that I dont get enough time to do silly things which as a woman I should be doing and am entitiled to and not to mention enjoy doing. Why do we let that race to achieve things, the hunger for greater things (which we intuitively know we are capable of and defeinitely have a right to), get in the way of being and enjoying being a woman?

So i tried to time things that I have been doing lately, now that I have very less to do..
a. Cooking for about an hour
b. Half an hour to an hour time out for all your cosmetic needs
c. Gym everyday and yoga twice a week
d. Sleep for at least 9 hours a day.

Ok, so now what is it that stops me from doing any of this on a normal week day when I work? I find myself at a loss of ideas. Is it the lack of required hours per day ? Is it the lack of enough energy and enthusiasm? It could well be a combination of that and more..Lack of motivation at the end of a tiresome 10 hour day is not that far fetched.

But I worry, for myself and for other women like me who unknowingly are losing out on more things than one. The ability to take care of yourself as a woman, the ability to relax on a daily basis, the awareness of stress that we carry along all day. All this and more. I know we want it all and we will compromise and adjust and re-adjust to make it happen. But maybe, just maybe we can help the situation..

This is how I figure it, life is probably not gonna get any saner. I sincerely believe that the 20's are the most time for yourself that you are gonna get. The 30's are crazy, you definitely have family, children and mortgages to worry about. Being a woman will get even crazier in 30's. Kids, schools, maids, house cleaning and not for forget in Laws! Yes, I am anticipating all that and more in my future I can tell ya! (which is why I am only too glad to push all that out till I hit the big 3 O)

Anyways, since I am already aware of that fact, maybe its time to salvage the rest of my 20's (ok fine late 20's :p) and maybe, just maybe, that little will go a long way.

Why should I lose out on something so intrinsic and something thats definitely so worthwhile. Maybe it will take some more time crunching, but wouldn't you want to do that now while you can and that time doesn't belong to anyone else? I think so..

No comments: