Saturday, August 05, 2006

Scoop!

A very refreshing movie in the recent times bar none. Every year I guess there is something that comes along completely as a pleasant surprise, last year it was 'Kiss kiss bang bang'. Another masterpiece and quite a case of serendipity as far as I am concerned but more of that later.
This year its 'Scoop' ! A Classic Woody Allen comedy.

Sondra: I think he might ask me to marry him
Sidney: Your family is quite conservative, do you think they will accept a serial killer ?

Absolutely understated but yet in your face kinda comedy if you get my drift. Its been a pleasure to see Woody back in action and oh what an action it is.

Scarlett (and I do like that name btw) is perfect in her role. I think she is Woody's new gal friday really! I think her looks are deliberately understated for the character that she's playing coz otherwise she is quite stunning. She has come a long way from the freakish 'Lost in Translation'. I wish she does more roles like these where she seems more at ease.
Beautiful and yet quite sneaky as the budding american journalist in London.

Woody is the neurotic and twitchy Splendini who gets caught up in the action by the virtue of being at provider of the molecule defragmentor (ha watch it I tell ya :p). Nothing else I will say would really justify this guy's passion for movies and good looking women. He's been accused of being repetetive but when what is served is so delicious, I would not mind a tad bit of repetitions or second helpings for that matter.
Hugh Jackman, o gosh, everytime he's on the screen it just lights up (at least for me it does). He's unbelievably good looking! Much trimmer and in shape than he was in X-men and boy this character is far from anything like that. He also fits the role of a previledged Brit I must say. Ok, and I can go on and on about him but thats not really a point, I am the greatest fan of Hugh Jackman but this movie is out and out Scarlett's and Woody's who shine as amateur investigative journalists.

The humour is classic Woody, script is a bit out there but when its so funny you rarely tend to question the rather mundane logic in things. Dialogues will grab you when you least expect them and don't be surprised if you laugh your guts out when you do catch the drift of it. This is a must see for all Woody fans and definitely is a nice summer movie.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I loved the trailer .. the dialogue on marriage u quoted was in the trailer too .. now that it is rated highly in RMM ( Rads Movie Meter) i am surely gonna check it out ...

I think u should start stars or points system for RMM rads ..

if i think of a better name than RMM (phonetically it rimes with RUM) will let u know