Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Age

Growing up takes u thru vague turns in life you may not have expected to see otherwise..
It has done that for me.. Shown me sides of me I never knew existed, brought me down to my knees in humility when i didnt think it was possible, made me realize things I would have taken for granted otherwise..

Its almost weird but if I had to filter out to exactly point out things age has taught me or rather inculcated in my personality, it would be:

1. Have learnt to be indifferent about certain things that really don't matter as I may think they do - Have learnt this the hard way, we spend too much time and energy concentrating on things that don't need that kind of attention. Could even be people who don't need that kind of attention. Its difficult to sometime draw that line and say - no, this is not worth it. But I think I am learning to do that.. Its probably too cold a technique but believe me its worth it.

2. Learnt to put myself into the other person's shoes before even putting thoughts into words.. Pause, reflect and then speak.. Its not as easy as it may sound.. We are all too judgemental no matter how you take it.. And I know now that its almost a stiched part of our human fabric, but I also have born the brunt of it. So I consciously try to place myself as the the other person before saying anything. Don't succeeed always but hey, worth a shot! Of course there will always be situations you cannot fathom for the love of life, situations you cannot relate to, stand back and just admit that. Give the person the benefit of doubt and just be there..

3. Weird as it may sound, but I think with age I have become more emotional now more than ever. Looking back 3-5-7 years ago, I see a different person from what I am currently.. That person was a lot stronger emotionally. Maybe indifference had a lot to do with it, was quite self involved. This one's high strung and quite fragile emotionally. Maybe its just the course of your life which decides that or makes you that way.. I wish it wasn;t like that tho', am not sure how to do anything about this. There is a lot more of insecurity that I see and do not like it at all. But working on it, who knows, maybe tomm will be different..

2 comments:

Ardra said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ardra said...

could relate to most of what u're saying rads, and while I'm cautious about making judgments, its still sometimes very difficult to ignore the immediate responses of anger, disdain, ...however, i'm mostly aware of every single thought/reaction that arises in my mind- then I filter it through the other perosn's perspective and only then let it manifest- most of the times atleast - sometimes I do forget...
looking back- I dont recognise myself-
ardra