Saturday, June 03, 2006

Being Cyrus

Finally saw the movie just now.. Am stunned, bowled over and delighted all at once..

I am stunned at the diabolical screenplay and story line.I am bowled over by the absolutely fantastic performances and the dark humour. And I am completely delighted at the notion of Indian cinema finally moving into the foray of dark ,wiry and original story lines.

Its been a sheer pleasure to watch this movie.. I am only sad that I had not so far. It had released when I was travelling and never really got around to watch it. Today very deteminedly forgoing my afternoon siesta decided to give it a shot!

I so so glad to see an Indian movie made in English where every character is abolutely flawless (if I may say so),the spoken english itself is impeccable. And that my dear is something that cannot be said for 99% of the so called English Indian movies that have seen the light of day last few years! It is sheer pleasure to see Saif bounce back the way he has.. All those bollywood stars out there (except dah'lin AB baby;)) should take a lesson or two from him for the kind of english diction he posseses (I guess after all, that UK education did pay off :p) His screen presence is awesome. I cannot believe he is the same scrawny guy who wore crazy clothes and danced to 'ole ole' !

I guess it was a matter of time and maturity for him to experiment with roles like these. He surprised me with Parineeta and Ek Haseena thi and this definitely takes the cake. He is such a dlighteful mixture of somebody sensitive, intelligent and at the same time quite quite scary! The movie takes you through different shades of his personality, a seeminlgly waywardness due to a troubled childhood, sensitivity that helps him gauging the Sethna family to a T, the disarming charm that makes people putty in his hands and of course the diabolic side as well.

I don't even know where to start about Dimple Kapadia. That women never ceases to suprise you, either as an alcoholic in 40's in DCH or a neurotic Mrs. Sethna in Being Cyrus.. She is one hell of an actor! (No wonder my mom likes her so much!) She has maintained herself so perfectly that you almost get swayed by her kiddish flirting on screen. Its a pity that none of the daughters take after her , really.. Looks wise or otherwise.. They are just shadows of what they could have been. The mother is someone to reckon with :) Her performance leaves nothing else to be desired, she plays the role of the obviously flirtish and neurotic parsi wife to the hilt! I really doubt if she is wearing any make up thru the movie but still manages to look absolutely sexy and attractive even with unkempt hair! awesome!

Naseruddin Shah, that man is a delight to watch even if he is on the screen for just 2 mins. His role I would have thought, in this movie, was a little sketchy and minor compared to other more powerful characters. But like I said, even in those 2-3mins that he's there, he is so perfect. There is really no role that this guy cannot play, I am convinced.. (tho he has played a parsi before in Pestonji). But the panorama of roles he has played in both movies and on stage is mind boggling. Ah, I hope he continues to shine for years to come..

Boman irani I thought was a little underused in this movie, he is another chap capable of greater things :) But nonetheless pleasure to see him playing the nasty and creepy Farokh.

Simone singh is a surprise package.. I guess she is underrated really, we haven't seen much of her except in 2 min roles in K2G and Kal ho na ho.. She looks so good and scrubbed.

All in all a great movie to watch on a lazy saturday and three cheers for the young and spunky director(Homi something..) to come up with this!!

3 comments:

Sandeep said...

Who needs IMDB for movie reviews... I've got one right here!Wanted to watch the movie when I was at SFO, but we couldn't make it. But guess I will someday.

P.S - K3G is what I know, but which one's K2G ??

Anonymous said...

Deepu, I must say for a person who is swamped with research work, you seem to have plenty time to keep upto date on movie reviews - no matter what the source ;-) I'm just back home from watching Da Vinci Code... For reviews on that one - since I dont blog, you'll hafta call me ;-)

Unknown said...

For a guy who is linguistically challenged (日本語私を数えない許しなさい - excuse me Japanese does not count ) I thoroughly enjoyed Ek Hasina Thi and Parineeta ( well thanks to the un-pirated DVD which had English subtitles). With this review got to check out BC. Will do so soon.